- In short: I make sure that small groups with big ideas can deliver on their ideas and stop putting them in the “someday” column
- North America’s 2nd-greatest investor in interesting projects
- Known for rapid lateral thinking and loud opinions
Boards and committees:
- CreativeMornings Edmonton, Editorial
- LIVINGbridge, Editorial
- The Gin Club (formerly Gin O’Clock), VP Vinance
- Alberta YouthVolunteer! Society
Ongoing creation and iteration
2014: things I made or did for my own enjoyment:
- Processing, open-sourcing my learning, research, and thoughts into the Processing language and Hype framework.
- How to Douglas, a weekly newsletter where I tell you what to do on the weekend and music/stuff you should be hyped about.
- YEGstagram, a live view of what Edmonton is posting to Instagram.
- the Collected Quotes of OSCAR WILDE, a couple hundred things he never said but I say that he did.
- cutieITEM, I generated seven hundred pieces of unique art, one for each Twitter follower of the Edmonton street artist thinkITEM.
- cutieITEM2, A CreativeMornings talk by thinkITEM, turned attendees into street artists, adding their words to a new piece of generative art.
- Bought the YEG.today domain.
- Began work on a new version of DID
- Joined the Board of the LIVINGbridge, continued work on the board of The Gin Club.
- Set up a new little office for my consultancy, FORT COZY.
- Wrote newsletters on behalf of the Drawing Room and Barber Ha
- So many more things that I forgot to keep track on this list past about June.
- Jul-Dec 2013: Focussed on projects for small groups with big ideas, and about which people feel passionately
- Jul-Dec 2012: Building a massive tent indoors, creating the best grilled cheese possible, K5M TERMINAL, update to Progress, early work on a game application, learning Coffeescript, investment in Capricious!, Development on a text (SMS) application, investment in Notebook on Cities and Culture season three, production plans begin for an alcohol based on Werther’s Original candies
- Jan-Jun 2012: Large investment in Notebook on Cities and Culture season one, figure app released, DID app released, investment in Double Fine Adventure, reading a lot of poetry about the sea and complicated French love, Progress app made to estimate lifespans, investment in Philosophy Posters, investment in ‘WATERPARK’ Score And Sound Design, investment in Fringe Focus Landscape Prints, continuing work on time-series data graphing/monitoring learning, MaxFunCon, working on my tan
- Jul-Dec 2011: Becoming a Yo-Yo master, Investment in Mike Merrill, visiting Oregon, Updates to Oblique Strategies, research into “Local Geographic.”, created Watchable and Linear
- Jan-Jun 2011: Edmonton Movie Times, EDMNTN.co (Edmonton Creative Opportunities), WeReviewWine / Conversations, REMAINS, updates to Edmonton Movie Times, Is Today... series (S M T W T F S), and Oblique Strategies
As a portrait photographer my little portrait studio was named RAD GRANDPA.
My photography has been used/featured by:
- 2011-2012: the St. Albert Gazette, The Edmonton Journal, February 11th, Signature Magazine Edmonton Symphony Orchestra Vol. 26 No. 10, Edmonton Symphony Orchestra 60th 2011/2012 Performance Guide, The Edmonton Journal - Edmonton’s Walterdale theatre steps up with The Threepenny Opera, Tepšić Magazine June 2011 issue, The Edmonton Journal July 4th - “Idiots”, Alberta Views Annual Performing Arts Guide, VUE Weekly issue #841: “Wyrd Sisters”
- 2010: Cartography, a book, Alberta Views magazine, SEE Magazine, The Gateway Newspaper, “Andrew W.K. The Very Best 2001-2009”, Tepsic Magazine “Nomad” issue, 2010-2011 Walterdale Playhouse Season Guide, Vue Weekly, Westworld Magazine (for the Edmonton Folk Music Festival), Signature Magazine Edmonton Symphony Orchestra Vol. 26, No. 7, Avenue Magazine (December 2010 - Much Ado About Nothing), Signature Magazine Edmonton Symphony Orchestra Vol. 26 No. 8, What’s Your Winspear? membership/promotional campaign, VUE Weekly issue #789: “Much Ado About Winter”, VUE Weekly issue #813: “From Cradle to Stage”
- 2009: Viscape, VUE Weekly Arts, The Edmonton Sun, The Edmonton Journal, the St. Albert Gazette, The Sound of Young America, Westworld Magazine (for the Edmonton Indy races), Avenue Theatre (Andrew W.K. concert; Benefit for War Child)
- 2008: the St. Albert Gazette, Canadian Theatre Review, VUE Weekly Arts, Theatre District Old Strathcona 2007-2008, Your Guide to Discover Old Strathcona 2007-2008, Walterdale Playhouse Season d'être, The Edmonton Sun, The Edmonton Journal
- 2007: Edmonton 2007: Cultural Capital of Canada gallery, VUE Weekly Arts, SEE magazine, The Edmonton Journal, The Edmonton Sun, the St. Albert Gazette, WHERE Edmonton magazine, Schmap Guides (Vancouver), Link Magazine (Netherlands)
- 2006: Schmap Guides (Edmonton), SHARE Family & Community Services Society